Student Intranet Staff Intranet Accessibility Text Size: A  A  A
Unlocking Talent. Fulfilling Potential.

How to Pay for Your Course

You are required to pay course fees at the time of enrolment to secure your place on the course. We use a secure third party solution for our online payments called CyberSource. If paying in person we accept cash, cheque or by Visa/Mastercard debit or credit cards.

Find out more about how to enrol on a course

What if I can’t afford the fees?

For some courses there may be additional help to pay for your fees:

  • If you are unemployed and claiming state benefits, you may be able to claim the concessionary fee. Please contact us for details of evidence required or download our leaflet below.
  • If your household income is less than £23,000 per year, you may be eligible to apply for a bursary to pay for 50% of total course fees. Application forms for bursary funds are available from both Receptions and will need to be submitted in good time prior to the start of your course as the application may take up to 3 working days to be processed. This is a limited fund and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis so please enquire early


For Leisure courses during the year we aim to assist learners by providing a variety of bursary schemes please take a look.


Download our How to Fund Your Course leaflet

Loans for students aged 19 and over

Advanced Learner LoansAdvanced Learner Loans 

  •   Anyone over 19 can apply for a loan to study – there’s no upper age limit

  • Student Finance England will ‘write off’ any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balances you owe for an Access to HE course once you complete a higher education course. This means you don’t have to repay it.

    The higher education course must be eligible for student finance.

  • Loan eligibility doesn’t depend on your income and there are no credit checks.
  • The minimum loan you can get is £300
  • You can apply for up to 4 loans and you can get more than one at the same time.
  • You can apply for another loan to take the same level of a course, eg the same level qualification in History if you’ve already had a loan for the same level in Maths.
  • Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification, eg A Levels or graduate certificate 
  • You only start paying your loan back if you start earning over £21,000 – if you never earn this much you will never pay it back as loans get written off after 30 years or at the death of the learner.
  • When you start paying it back you only pay back 9% on any income above 21,000 (current amount) so if you start to earn £22,000 your repayment would be made on £1000 which is approximately £7 per month
  • You may also be eligible for money from the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund if you need help with some costs while studying, eg childcare, travel or trips related to your course. 


Further information regarding student loans can be found on the following pages:


I’m 16-18; do I still have to pay my course fees?

We offer Leisure courses to younger learners which you will be required to pay the full fees for.  However we no longer offer qualification courses for younger learners (16 to 18 year olds).

Do I have to pay the whole cost all at once?

If your course is over £150 you maybe able to pay in 3 instalments; if your course is over £350 you maybe able to pay in 5 instalments, providing the final instalment is paid 6 weeks before the end of the course. Plans must be arranged in person at either site at the time of enrolment. You will need to have a UK bank account and will be charged £15 per instalment plan. You will also need to bring your bank sort code, account number and bank address with you.

Can I get any help paying for my course materials & travel expenses?

For some longer courses, you can apply for a bursary if your household income meets the criteria.

Local Bursary Schemes

Periodically we have bursary funds gifted to the college to assist learner afford courses and allow them to -

  • Learn a new skill
  • Meet new people
  • Getting out of the house to be part of a safe, friendly environment

Find out more

I don’t fit into any of these categories but I still need help to pay my fees

It might be possible to seek direct financial support from a local charity. Please ask at either Reception for current information.

I’m not sure if I have EU status

Government funding subsidies, concessions & bursaries apply to EU students only

  • If you have been living in the UK for less than three years and do not have settled EU/UK residency status, you will probably need to pay non-EU rates
  • You may need to enrol in person to provide the evidence required

| Back | Print | Top |

Learner Handbook 2016-17

Where we are


Advanced Learner Loans


Funding Your Course


Upcoming Events


Hires Guide